Know how you can fix the roof decking damage to keep your roof protected for a long time
Roof decking is a layer of materials created between the roof shingles and roof sheathing. The layer can be formed from various materials such as asphalt, fiberglass, or metal. The main function of roof decking is to provide insulation to your roof sheathing. It also helps to your home free from moisture and water leakage. You need to check the roof decking if it is made of wood so that you can detect the signs of roof damage and replace it as soon as possible.
If you are searching for Downey local roof replacement then you can contact Thompson Roofing in Downey. We are the reliable contractors in your location who believe in providing top-tier roofing services to our customers. Moreover, you can take the help of our roofers to inspect your roof and get it repaired as soon as possible. So, let us understand the roof decking damage and how you can fix this issue to keep your roof protected from damage.
Causes of Roof Decking Damage
There are several reasons for roof decking damage. Let us discuss all of them
When your roof is improperly sealed and there are cracks in the flashing, water can leak into the roof decking to cause damage to it
UV rays can be very dangerous when they cause the wooden decking to warp, crack or decay.
Mold can develop in the moist areas; especially on wooden decking and cause damage to it over time.
How can you detect roof decking damage?
You can detect the roof decking damage issue by a few signs that include:
- If there are water stains on your ceiling then it might be because of the roof decking damage. When water enters the decking, it enters your house thereby leaving water stains on the ceiling.
- If you notice warping or buckling on the decking boards then it is a sign of roof decking damage. It can happen because of the sun’s UV rays.
- If you find mold formation on the decking then there is a possibility of roof decking damage. You need to address this issue as soon as possible
Types of roof decking:
There are different types of roof decking available for your roof that you can consider.
- Plywood is the most common type of roof decking available for your home. This is made from thin, wood thin sheets that are fixed together. This type of material is durable and can tolerate harsh weather conditions.
- Metal roof decking is made of aluminum, steel, or copper. This type of decking is usually found in commercial buildings. These are light in weight and also fire-resistant.
- Composite roof decking is made of wood pulp and plastic fibers, which are resistant to water. They can last for a long time and hence do not decay easily.
Repairing/replacing your Roof Decking
You need to consider a few factors while replacing or repairing your roof decking.
- First, you need to consider the condition of the roof decking. If it is badly damaged then you can replace it with a new one.
- Secondly, you should consider for how long your roof decking has been installed. If you have installed it for more than 20 years then you need to replace it instead of repairing it.
- Lastly, you should consider the climate of your location. If your roof decking is exposed to harsh weather conditions then there is a chance that your roof decking is damaged. You can inspect it thoroughly to find out if there is severe damage to it. You can replace it with a new one if you have no chance to repair the roof decking.
You can take a few important steps before you start replacing the roof decking so that it won’t create any hassles later. Remove the existing roof decking and all the dust and dirt from your roof. Then, you need to replace the damaged wood planks and install the new ones in place of that with the help of nails. You can install a moisture barrier and the shingles to complete the task. If you are still not sure about the repairing process then you can contact our professional roofers to get your queries resolved.