There’s also the option to go the extra mile and attain a master’s degree in categories such as information technology management. Choosing a reputable online degree program can make earning your bachelor’s or master’s more accessible by granting you freedom and flexibility in managing your course load. The more a security specialist can guard against attacks, the more a business is able to function at full technological throttle. A cybersecurity specialist is a professional who is responsible for protecting computer systems, networks, and data from unauthorized access, theft, or damage.
- Of course, before embarking on a career as a cybersecurity professional you’ll need to ensure your knowledge is as current as it can be.
- The more a security specialist can guard against attacks, the more a business is able to function at full technological throttle.
- For data, this field protects information by building structures for backups and encryption.
- Learners are advised to conduct additional research to ensure that courses and other credentials pursued meet their personal, professional, and financial goals.
To get hired as a security specialist, you always want to develop your skills and knowledge as much as possible, and certificates help you to do exactly that. For this reason, security specialists are necessary to maintain the overall operations and credibility of a company. Aspiring security specialists should gain as much experience as possible in using SIEM, programming languages, firewalls, and threat protection software.
Are there other names that cybersecurity specialists go by?
According to Payscale, security specialists with 10 or more years of experience earned an average annual salary of $98,389 as of September 2021. The employment of information security analysts, which includes cybersecurity specialists, is predicted to grow 36 percent by 2024, much faster than the average for all occupations. There are also a few certifications that an IT security specialist could choose to obtain. Some employers prefer to hire those who are certified, as it proves they have the necessary knowledge and experience required.
Payscale also reports that in 2023, cybersecurity specialists will be compensated across a wide range, depending on experience, responsibilities, and geography. Cybersecurity specialists can anticipate strong employment growth over the coming decade. For example, The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reports a 35% projected employment growth rate for information security analysts from 2021 to 2031. This title encompasses roles like cybersecurity analyst and information security specialist.
A Day in the Life of a Security Specialist
As mentioned in the list of daily responsibilities, you might be expected to carry out penetration testing. Software that can assist you in this task includes Kali Linux, nmap, Metasploit, Wireshark, and John the Ripper. All of these will help you to identify weaknesses in a system, ideally before a cyber criminal finds them.
Gaining industry experience in such roles can prepare candidates for core security positions. According to Payscale, major companies paying security specialists well above the national average include the Boeing how to become a security specialist Company, the Walt Disney Company, and American Express Co. Aspiring cybersecurity specialists may also find ample opportunities in companies like CACI International Inc, American Electric Power, and IBM.
“It doesn’t matter how many times you have failed, you only have to be right once.” – Mark Cuban
Monali is passionate about implementing creative solutions, building community, advocating for mental health, empowering women, and educating youth. Monali’s goal is to gain more experience in her field, expand her skill set, and do meaningful work that will positively impact the world. In the early 2000’s the continued growth of internet usage led to a rise in internet crime and a call for further internet security. Now, major breaches, like LinkedIn’s data leak in June 2021, threaten to affect a shocking amount of users. Find out how different WGU is about personalizing and supporting your education.
- When looking at job opportunities in the cybersecurity industry, it’s a good idea to keep notes about what kinds of certifications employers are looking for.
- These professionals also work on creating a disaster recovery plan for the organization.
- At the app level, infrastructure security professionals develop and deploy effective databases to prevent access by bad actors.
- However, most people are reluctant to change, especially if it requires learning a new operating procedure or workflow.